We all love dessert. The post-meal sweetness is the highlight of a meal. However, we often try to avoid it, because we are worried about our healthy diets and lifestyle. Luckily, more and more people have created desserts that satisfy the cravings without sacrificing the calories. But we’ve got the perfect chocolate recipe you can treat yourself to on World Chocolate Day!
The lovely head pastry chef at the Michelin Starred Bohemia Restaurant shared her delicious gluten-free chocolate cake recipe with us to celebrate dessert, and especially chocolate, on World Chocolate Day. This cake has no butter, cream, or sugar, making it the perfect way to celebrate without feeling guilty after!
Guilt Free Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
Ingredients (To make 10 cupcakes or 1 small cake)
1. 100g Ground almonds
2. 45g Cocoa powder
3. 5g Baking soda
4. 5g Gluten free baking powder
5. 3 Eggs
6. 140g Maple syrup
7. 200g Almond milk
8. 200g Pitted dates
9. 50g Grated courgette
10. 200g Olive oil
11. 150g Dark Chocolate
1. Sieve all of the dry ingredients together
2. Whisk the eggs and add the maple syrup
3. Blend the almond milk, dates, grated courgettes and olive oil together
4. Melt the dark chocolate
5. Add the dry ingredients to egg mixture to create a smooth batter
6. Fold the almond milk mixture carefully into the batter and pour in the dark chocolate
7. Preheat the oven to 160°C
8. Pour the mixture into a lined tin
9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes for cupcakes and 40 to 50 minutes for a cake
Ingredients: Chocolate, Avocado, and Date Icing
1. 2 Avocados
2. 250g Dates
3. 15g Cocoa powder
4. 60g Maple syrup
5. 350g Almond milk
6. A pinch of salt
7. 400g Melted dark chocolate
1. Blend everything (except the dark chocolate) in a food processor
2. Add the dark chocolate carefully whilst blending
3. Decorate as you please
Tips for your chocolate recipe
This delicious chocolate recipe will taste as good as it looks! Also, since it is World Chocolate Day, head chef Ellen de Jager wanted to give some helpful tips to help you create more chocolate foods at home.
Start from scratch!
Making your own chocolate is not as hard as you’d think! You need grated cocoa butter, coconut oil, agave syrup, and raw organic cocoa powder. Place the grated cocoa butter and coconut oil in a small, heat-safe bowl. Then place the bowl in a shallow pan containing a small amount of warm water stirring occasionally. Lastly, add the dry ingredients and place the chocolate in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Feel the Heat
If making raw chocolate is a step too far, you might wish to simply melt shop bought chocolate in order to make your own unique cocoa treats. Ensure you cut the bar into even squares. This means the chocolate will all melt at an equal speed.
Between the recipe and the useful tips, these will make your World Chocolate Day a complete success.