With summer on its way, what’s better than some delicious, smooth homemade ice cream? Head Chef Steve Smith of Michelin starred Bohemia Bar and Restaurant has shared his unique Jersey Royal ice cream recipe.
Steve Smith endeavours to offer a variety of local, fresh produce in all of his dishes at Bohemia Bar and Restaurant. The majority of ingredients such as the famous Jersey Royal Potato are locally sourced from the island of Jersey.
1 kg Finely sliced Jersey Royals
500 g Borbier unsalted butter
500 ml Skimmed milk
60 g Pro crema
500 ml whole milk
120 ml Creme Fraiche/fromage blanc
2 tbspn brown butter
2 tspn Salt
- Caramelise the sliced Jersey Royals in the butter until completely golden brown.
- Drain from the butter.
- Add the milk to the pro crema and bring to the boil.
- Add the drained potatoes and allow to steep for 45 minutes.
- Keep 500 grams of the potatoes. Blend the kept potatoes, milk mix, creme fraiche, brown butter and salt.
- Blend until completely smooth then place into a Paco jet beaker and freeze.
This ice cream recipe looks good and it’s lovely to try something new this summer after a healthy meal. Say goodbye to the long winter, hello refreshing summer treats!
Steve Smith is one of the world’s most distinguished chefs. Steve Smith has won a Michelin Star five times and has held a Michelin star for over 20 years. Bohemia is the only Michelin starred restaurant in the Channel Islands.