My family makes this salad often during the peak of summer. Especially on a hot humid day, this salad is a quick and easy refresher. It requires minimal cooking, and the corn salad recipe consists mainly of ingredients that can be found at a local farmers market. If you can, while the salad is marinating, try to mix it once or twice. You can also sample a bit then if you don’t want to wait!
- 7 fresh corn cobs
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 bell pepper sliced (orange is my personal preference due to the color contrast, but any color pepper is fine)
- 10 cornichons sliced into rounds
- 10 leaves chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
- 5 sprigs chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Boil the corn cobs for 3 minutes. Let cool by running each cob under cool water.
With a knife, carefully scrape the corn kernels off the cob trying to keep the pieces relatively intact. This will lead to some irregular sized pieces, but this is fine. Don’t worry about breaking up the big chunks until all the ingredients are combined.
In a large glass container combine the corn, tomatoes, pepper, cornichons, and herbs (if using fresh. If using dried, add later in the dressing).
In a medium sized bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients except the oil. Mix well until the clumps of mayonnaise have evened out.
Add the oil slowly mixing well until the dressing is uniform in color and consistency.
Pour the dressing over the corn mixture. Mix everything well.
Refrigerate 12 hours or overnight, and enjoy!
A simple corn salad recipe that is healthy and delicious – perfect for a hot summer day.