Delicious avocado recipe inspiration for a healthy and quick fix.
Celebrate this National Vegetarian Week (13-19 May 2019) with the World Avocado Organization. As more people are looking to make lifestyle changes by trying more vegetarian meals, exploring a plant-based diet or just looking to pack more of those all-important nutrients into their diet, there’s one superfood that should be top your shopping list.
Loaded with vitamins, potassium, fibre and healthy fats, the avocado is a versatile and nutrient-dense fruit, which packs a punch when it comes to nutritional value. The best part? Avocados go with virtually anything, so why not try a simple and delicious avocado recipe from food blogger Colette Dike of Food Deco in partnership with the World Avocado Organization (WAO):
The Symmetry Salad
Fill yourself with some green goodness come lunchtime with this delicious (and gorgeous) salad.
- 1 avocado, halved and peeled
- 150g tricolore quinoa
- 75g raw broccoli stem cut julienne
- ½ cucumber sliced in long ribbons
- 200g edamame
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Pumpkin seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Baby basil
- ½ lime zest
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger juice
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. tahini paste
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Cook the quinoa according to instructions, and add 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Next, combine all the ingredients for the dressing with a hand blender and add a little bit of water if needed.
- Divide all salad ingredients over two bowls and drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use the avocado halves as dressing bowls and add the toppings
You thought classic hummus was moreish? Just wait ‘til you try this dip with a twist – perfect for a mid-afternoon snack
- 2 avocados
- 200g canned chickpeas
- 100ml ice-cold water
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 lemon
- salt & pepper
- Chili flakes
- Olive oil
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Basil leaves
- Lemon zest
- Dried rose petals
- Blend the drained chickpeas, tahini paste and lemon juice until completely smooth. While blending, add the ice-cold water and bring to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the avocado hummus in a bowl and use a spoon to make some swirls in the hummus and decorate with the toppings.
- Serve with warm pita bread on the side
Avocado & Banana Superfood Pancake
Packed with an abundance of naturally sweet, superfood ingredients, this is a must for those in search of a lighter, healthier pancake with avocado recipe
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
- ½ banana, peeled and mashed
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Vegetable oil for baking
- Pomegranate seeds
- Kiwi slices
- Banana slices
- Whisk together the milk, avocado, banana and eggs in a medium bowl then add the rest of the dry ingredients to the mixture and whisk.
- Heat a large skillet (non-stick or cast-iron) over a medium heat and add vegetable oil, making sure it covers the complete surface.
- For each pancake, spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter onto skillet, using the back of the spoon to spread batter into a circle. Decorate as you like!