Enjoy a fascinating hike in one of the most beautiful gorges of Europe. Vikos Gorge hike is one of the most popular hiking destinations in Greece. The gorge consists of limestone and dolomite formations, dating back to 150 million years ago and vertical walls extending up to a height of 1700 meters.
The gorge is part of the 31,1135 acres (12,600 hectares) Vikos-Aoos National Park and has been listed in the Guinness book of records as the deepest canyon worldwide in proportion to its width. The gorge has been carved over millions of years by the Voidomatis River, a tributary of the Aoos.
The hike starts from Monodendri village with a 45-minute descent until reaching the river bed. The trail is ascending and descending surrounded by steep mountain tops and dense forests of deciduous trees and 1800 plant species.
Before ascending to Vikos village, hikers will visit Voidomati’s springs, Greece’s cleanest and coldest river, with an average all year temperature of 47.3°F (8.5°C). If you are brave, you might want to try the experience of a very refreshing dive in the crystal clear waters during summer months! The hike finishes at Vikos village, after a 1-hour ascent from Voidomatis springs.
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- All necessary local transfers for the operation of the activity
- Greek traditional picnic lunch
- Hiking poles
- Backpack / 4 participants
- Waterproof poncho jacket for the rainy days
- 09:00 Meeting in Monodentri with your guide, welcome briefing
- 09:15 Trek commencement
- 12:30 Short break for a traditional picnic snack
- 3:00 Visit to Voidomatis springs for rest and pictures
- 4:00 Exit the gorge in Vikos village
- 4:15 Local transfer from Vikos back to Monodentri
- 5:00 Arrival in Monodentri, end of the activity
Tour Departs At:
Monodendri Village Central Square at 9am
- $44.73 (40€)/pp for 4-6 participants
- $55.92 (50€)/pp for min 3 participants
- $72.69 (65€)/pp for min 2 participants
Click ‘Proceed Booking’ to find out more or book this incredible Vikos Gorge hike.