With the heatwave on around the world, it’s time to switch to healthier, lighter meals on a daily basis. This refreshing Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe from Executive Head Chef Gopi Chandran of Sopwell House in St Albans, hits the spot.
Get a taste of the Mediterranean in your own back garden with this hydrating and vibrant watermelon and feta salad recipe. It will also go down a treat with your friends at your next summer BBQ. And we are all for food that is incredibly easy to throw together.
Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe
- ¼ Watermelon – Skin removed and diced 1 inch thick
- Feta – 200 g diced or crumbled
- Kalamata olives – 50 g pitted
- Red chilli – 1 finely chopped
- Olive oil – 10 ml
- Garlic clove – 1 clove
- A sprig of thyme and rosemary
- ½ large lemon, remove rind and julienne (slice rind into thin strips). Juice the flesh
- Basil leaves – 10 g
- Mint leaves – 10 g
- To make the dressing, slowly and carefully heat olive oil, adding the garlic, chilli, thyme and rosemary, lemon rind.
- Gently heat for 3 minutes, add lemon juice, salt and pepper. It’s important to do this slowly to avoid burning any of the added elements.
- Set aside to cool.
- To serve, spread the diced watermelon in the desired dish, sprinkle the feta on top, spoon over olives and distribute the dressing evenly.
- Finish with a fine chiffonade of basil and mint – this will bring out all the flavour.
Summer just got sorted. Stay healthy, stay hydrated.