In the summer, our skin is exposed to harsh sunlight and being out all day in the sun can take a huge toll. The pollution doesn’t help either! Aside from regular cleansing and moisturizing, it is good to treat your skin once in a while to a mask or scrub. Instead of purchasing expensive products containing chemicals that are harmful to the skin, here are organic skincare recipes that you can create at home. Great for your skin and your wallet.
Green Tea and Avocado Mask
This organic and natural skin mask will leave your skin in the best condition it has ever been. Green tea is famously known to be great for the skin. It contains antioxidant and antibacterial properties, while shown to improve the elasticity of your skin and able to soothe any redness or irritation. Avocados are rich in fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants that will hydrate the skin and improve its condition from the inside.
- 1/2 Avocado
- Powdered green tea
- Loose Green Tea
- Medium sized bowl
- Using a large knife, slice your avocado in half and remove from the skin.
- Place your avocado in a bowl and mash using a fork. Instead of discarding the pit, you can plant it in your backyard to grow an avocado tree!
- Brew your green tea and let it steep for about 2-3 minutes. Using the green tea leaves, add them to your mashed avocado and mix. This is optional, but you can also add green tea powder for extra antioxidants.
- Using either a clean makeup brush or clean hands, apply the mask to your face for 15-20 minutes. While you’re waiting for the mask to set, you can drink the brewed green tea that you just made!
- Once time is up, gently rinse off the mask and follow-up with your regular skincare routine. You will notice that your skin will feel softer and appear evener with this organic skincare recipe.
Olive Oil as a Natural Makeup Remover
A good makeup remover doesn’t have to come with a label. An all-natural, inexpensive alternative that is highly effective works the same way – olive oil. The idea of applying oil on your face can seem scary, but because olive oil resembles the natural type of oil on your skin, it won’t have any harming effects. In fact, olive oil won’t clog your pores, dry out your skin, or cause breakouts. Instead, it will moisturize your skin while removing any impurities on the face. Natural olive oil is filled with anti-aging antioxidants that will improve the condition of your skin – a perfect organic skincare solution.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cotton pads
- Simply take your extra virgin olive oil and apply it to a cotton pad until lightly soaked. Gently pat the cotton pad onto your eye area for about 5 seconds and gently wipe away. Repeat until all the makeup is removed.
- You can also apply the olive oil on your hands and massage it on your face for about 1-2 minutes. Then, wet your hands with warm water and continue massaging for another minute.
- Rinse your face thoroughly and follow-up with your regular skincare routine.
Rice Water Toner
There are actually many benefits to rice water that may people are unaware about. Rice water is actually an Asian beauty secret that women have been using for centuries. It helps to brighten the skin while reducing excess oil as well as reducing redness and soothing irritated skin. The best part, rice water toner is very easy to make and inexpensive in comparison to a regular skin toner.
- 1/2 cup of organic rice of any choice
- 1 cup of water
- cotton pads
- container with a lid
- To create your own rice water toner, simply combine your rice and water in a bowl. The reason why we use organic rice is that organic rice is less likely to have pesticides and starches that can harm the skin.
- Stir continuously until the rice water appears cloudy. This should take about 3-5 minutes. Strain the water into your container and that’s it! Be sure to cook the leftover rice so that it won’t be wasted.
Your rice water toner should last you up to two weeks with continuous use. To get the most out of your toner, always remember to thoroughly remove your makeup and cleanse properly. Exfoliate your face once or twice a week to remove any excess dead skin cells so that your skin will absorb the toner much quicker.
Coffee Bean Exfoliant
Instead of purchasing a regular body scrub full of harsh chemicals, try an all natural coffee body scrub that will help you achieve healthier, smoother skin! The central ingredient found in coffee beans, caffeine, is known to have many natural benefits to the body. When used on the skin, the stimulant is found to reduce cellulite while reducing swelling and inflammation. Caffeine also filled with antioxidants, which help to fight premature aging and fine lines.
- 1 cup of brewed coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- container with a lid
- small spatula (optional)
After brewing your morning cup of coffee, take your coffee grounds and pour them into a container. Add your extra virgin olive oil and mix. This will help the coffee grounds bind together so that application is easier and will also help condition the skin. You can also substitute this organic skincare recipe with either honey or coconut oil. After mixing simply transfer the contents to a sealed container and that’s it!
It is best to use this coffee scrub in the bathtub or during your shower as the application process can be a bit messy. I recommend exfoliating your body with the coffee scrub once or twice a week. It’s a great DIY organic skincare routine that will add to that gorgeous glow!